Skip to content

South Passage Daily Report

CLIENT: St Philips Christian College


FROM: Sydney TO: Port Stephens

DATE: Day 2, 20 November 2016

POSITION: Fingal Bay

Report by: White Watch

Our day started with an early rise at 4:00am, as we had the early watch shift. We had numerous jobs such as, measuring the longitude and latitude, wind and the mooring line.  The air was cold and the sky was dark, the view of flashing lights in the distance circled us. After our duties we went back to bed and tried to get a little bit more rest before morning. All of us had to wake up around 5:30am for our first breakfast before the sail rising. This breakfast included various types of cereal and milk. After a hard work of raising the sails, tying and pulling many different ropes, we were able to set sail.

We were well rewarded by a second breakfast that consisted of bacon, eggs, sausages and toast. The water around us was calm and relaxing. When we were not on our watch we would get harnesses on and hop on the bowsprit. The bowsprit is a net in front of the boat which allows us to drape our feet over the edge. Some of us got to experience the incredible sight of dolphins gliding along next to the boat. At one point we looked out and saw a pod of at least 50 dolphins swimming beside us. It was an unforgettable and beautiful experience.

Our lunch was amazing! We have an incredible chef on board who made us burritos and brought us out rockmelon. Most of our day was taken up on deck doing watches or relaxing and enjoying the view. One of our most important rotations was the helm. This was steering the boat by following the compass to insure we were heading in the right direction. This was the most enjoyable job we were able to participate in.

When we finally reached our destination for the day, which was Fingal Bay, everybody was exhausted but excited. We were refilled with a delicious stir-fry dinner. After dinner we had a knot tying competition which included the reef knot and the figure 8 knot. Our team (white watch) had the fastest time put together as a team, and we took the lead in the overall competition. We then had a yummy desert which topped of our busy day. Everyone got ready for bed and went on deck to watch the sunset, in the horizon. And now it’s our watch shift which goes on until 9:00pm (writing this was one of our jobs). Although some of us got sunburnt and sick we were still able to make the most of this thrilling adventure. Overall, today was an amazing experience that we will never forget! Thank you to all the crew on the boat who helped us learn many new skills as well as make our trip entertaining and fun, we appreciate your time and effort.

Scroll To Top