Skip to content

South Passage Daily Report

CLIENT: Ormiston College

VOYAGE NUMBER:  20180921

FROM: Manly TO: Manly

DATE: 21 Sept 2018

POSITION: Tangalooma

REPORT BY: Blue Watch

Today we boarded South Passage knowing that the conditions were going to be quite challenging. We were excited when anticipating the journey ahead alongside the other crew members. A majority of us were new to the experience of sailing. We were organised into three watches: blue, white and red. We were then introduced to our watch leader, Matz. Throughout the day we were put in charge of numerous tasks including, but not limited to, raising the jibs which consisted of belaying the ropes to secure the sail.

Throughout the day we were all astounded at the steep angle that the deck leant at to achieve maximum speed. Our watch turn finally arrived, and we were quickly thrown straight into a number of tasks, including lookouts, logging the journey and steering the ship. The sailing was smooth but a strong wind kept us skimming through the water at up to 10 knots.

The calm conditions did not last for long as soon the wind picked up and the sails were tacked many times to get us back on course. Whilst tacking we were required to complete sweating. This allows tension in the sail, and is completed by pushing the halyard outwards, and then throwing your entire bodyweight inboard to pull the sail up. This was a very intense process. Soon Tangalooma was in sight along with other vessels in the area. We let the sails down and anchored for the night. It has been such an awesome experience and we have all learnt loads in such a short amount of time.

REPORT BY: Red Watch

Stepping onto the ship everyone was excited to begin the journey. We first got shown to our bunks where we unpacked with only having a small area to stow our belongings. We then went on deck for a safety briefing, which included what to do in a man overboard situation or fire. Next we released the lines and motored out of the harbour into Waterloo Bay, where we raised the sails and started heading towards Moreton Island.

Each watch had two-hour shifts, where the watch completed tasks including port and starboard lookouts, the deck check, and the helmsman who steered the boat. In between our watches, we completed our journals and learnt how to tie knots that are essential to running a ship. For lunch, we enjoyed a salad roll with cold meat.

While steering the boat, we tacked a lot to change direction. In our spare time, we had an opportunity to go out on the bowsprit using a harness, which was very enjoyable.

After dropping anchor, the watches participated in a knot tying competition, where the Blue watch scored -2 seconds, the Red watch came second with 2 seconds and White watch trailing behind on 41 seconds. Teams that achieved perfect knot first time were given a 20 second bonus off their time.

After this we enjoyed dinner and dessert sitting on the deck watching the sunset. We relaxed and played games in preparation for our early night watch.

Members of the Red watch had an early start to the second day, with people having shifts starting at 12.01am. During this period of time we recorded data, which involved us measuring the wind speed and the bearings to confirm if the ship had moved throughout the night. Results stayed assuring similar throughout the shift with a chilly but calm wind blowing during the early start.

Scroll To Top