Skip to content

South Passage Daily Report

CLIENT: Lorien Novalis


FROM: Port Stephens TO: Sydney

DATE: 26 Oct 2017

POSITION: Refuge Bay, Broken Bay

Report by: Red Watch

Though we all wake at 0600 sharp, some of our days start at the crack of dawn, such as the Red Watch this morning. From 0500, we polished the bright work of the vessel, and woke the rest of the watches (Blue and White) at 0600 with the bugle.

All hands were on deck by 0620, we successfully flaked the anchor and efficiently raised the sails, departing south from Newcastle around 0700. The weather cleared from overcast to a clear sky within the hour. Tacking towards the wind, we travelled at 5 kts in moderate waves. White horses were formed, the conditions slowly getting rougher. Everyone began to feel crook. The ship appeared to be heeled at a 35 degree angle, all of us surfing along the deck and clutching to the rails to avoid going overboard. We would constantly change our course to catch the wind, once tacking to avoid collision from a stationary vessel.

From 0700-0800, pods of dolphins swam by on port, whilst whales sprayed and flipped their tails on starboard. Around now we had our first person seasick. And by noon, several had threw up over the leeward, and another two on windward. Even our beloved watchleader fell ill to the sea’s motions. At 1200, the Red Watch mustered onto the deck, and we began our 3 hour watch. Four tacks were made during this time with minimal crew, turning backstays on and off, and tacking sails to stay on course. There were few difficulties managing the boat despite the harsh conditions.

At 1825, the ship sailed into Pittwater, where the skipper valiantly navigated everyone through jellyfish infested waters. With everyone majority recovered from their crookedness, all were up on deck lowering the sails, Red Watch assisting Blue and White Watch at their Bosun’s command. Once all ropes were tidied away and in place, we anchored in Refuge Bay. By this time, the clear sky had now become cloudy once more. After all stations had completed their tasks, all relaxed, and everyone practiced for our daily knotting competition – today a race to tie the bowline. To some’s dissatisfaction, the competition was postponed until tomorrow. At 2000, Red Watch started their last watch of the day. Position fixing bearings were taken on various points to ensure our vessel has not drifted from its mooring. These checks are done every hour to maintain the safety of the ship throughout the night by our watch and others. And by coincidence, the boat is anchored an 8 minute drive from Conor’s house.

We all have enjoyed the voyage so far, and hope to enjoy the rest of it. Red Rabble over and out!

Scroll To Top