Skip to content

South Passage Daily Report

CLIENT: St Philips Christian College


FROM: Newcastle TO: Port Stephens

DATE: 21 Oct 2017

POSITION: Fingal Bay

Report by: Blue Watch

Everyone arrived at the Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club at 8:30 am to get into our watch groups, with 9 people including the watch leader then boarded the South Passage which would be our home for the next three days. We spent half an hour learning our way around the ship, how to control the ships mast and how to do certain knots. Before we embarked on our journey we were shown a code, R.O.P.E.S, Respect, Opportunity, Participation, Enjoyment and Safety.

We set sail for Fingal Bay. Once we got out of the harbour it was waves end on end 10 ft. high. We put the sails up with extreme difficulty, made our beds and nearly fell off the boat when it was nearly 45 degrees (The edge of the boat was touching the water). After getting used to the swaying we began the vomiting stage. The vomiting did not end even when we docked. The journey was an exciting one but was not so glad for the people constantly in pain from sea sickness.

When we docked the mood brightened up as we started to grow used to the little sway of the boat. Lunch included a variety of foods for the buns like, lettuce, beetroot, carrot, salami, ham, cucumber, tomato and many sauces. The time docking was relaxation, swimming and snacking. The water being very cold encouraged us to go for a swim risking hyperthermia.

Dinner was cooked expertly by the amazing chef and we could not resist the smell that was coming from the kitchen. Dinner was a wonderful chicken stir-fry with rice. After dinner came desert, desert was the best thing you could want on a Saturday night after sailing for 5 hours, an apple pie with custard. After dinner we spent numerous hours chatting away with friends and eating the unlimited amount of fruit.

Then we started our shifts, the first one being at 4pm to 6pm then 6pm to 8pm then 8pm to 10pm etc. On our trip we saw dolphins swimming up-close to the boat and a whale enjoying itself splashing in the water. Today was a full on day with lots of exciting things to do, the start of our three day journey.

Scroll To Top