Skip to content

South Passage Daily Report

CLIENT: Townsville Grammar School

VOYAGE NUMBER:  20190731

FROM: Townsville To: Townsville

DATE: 1 August 2019

POSITION: Orpheus Is

REPORT BY: White Watch

The day began with us being woken up at 0400 to watch the anchor and then polish the brass as the sun began to rise. Once that was done we were left with the task of trying to wake everyone up with the freshly polished bugle, which was pretty entertaining considering the fact that between the six of us, not one of us actually managed to play it… plus everyone was already awake before we even got the chance to try.

Once everyone was up we were treated to two breakfasts, the first which was a selection of cereals and juices and the second which was a variety of hot foods such as toast, scrambled eggs and baked beans. Once everyone was well fed and ready to set sail, we all mustered off into our watches, where we learnt how to raise the sails and prepared to set off on our journey. Armed with new knowledge and our helpful watch leaders, we successfully managed to raise all sails without a hitch once we had finally raised the anchor. Though there were many apparent whale and dolphin sightings, some of us still question whether they actually occurred.

For this leg of the trip, we were responsible for raising and lowering the mainsail. White watch also took over the deck for a three hour watch from 1200 to 1500. During this watch there were many sick faces as we were travelling through the rolling seas out in the open.

After a day of sailing we eventually dropped anchor at Orpheus Island, arriving with just enough time to fit in a quick swim before the knot competition and dinner. Those brave enough to try swimming in the cold water amongst the strong breeze enjoyed jumping off the starboard side of the ship and trying to climb up the net at the front to kiss the mermaid – a challenge in itself considering the wind and how slippery the ship is.

After the quick dip we were all called to compete against each other in the knotting competition where the knot of the day was a round turn and two half hitches. Of course the white team won as Tiarra spent her day harassing everyone to practice so they would be ‘the quickest’.

Dinner consisted of chicken, rice and vegies as well as a delicious dessert of sticky date pudding that almost everyone tried – no matter how full or nauseous they were feeling. Of course after that the war for the showers began and those who were waiting played games around the big table in the saloon and bunk area.

Overall it was an eventful and successful day, leaving us all exhausted and ready to roll into our bunks once we get the chance… but not before a few more card games!

Scroll To Top