South Passage Daily Report

CLIENT: Navy Cadets


FROM: Manly  TO: Manly

DATE: 10 September 2016     TIME: 2030 hrs

POSITION: Horseshoe Bay, Peel Island

Report by: Blue Watch

The Navy Cadets boarded South Passage on a Friday evening 9th for a 2 day voyage. Throughout the experience the cadets had plenty of opportunities to get involved. The start of the journey was at Manly port jetty, the cadets arrived at 7:00 pm then they were split up into their watches’ which was between blue, white and red. When that was done the cadets were sent aboard the vessel and were introduced to their sleeping arrangements and to everyone. Everyone helped out to get the bunks made, and had a friendly chat before lights out at 9:30 pm.

The next day, the crew and cadets had an early start at 6:30 am getting ready for the full day ahead. At around 7:00 am cereal was laid near the galley (this is called the saloon). All the cadets were walked through the procedure of receiving their food and washing up. The skipper of South Passage, Robert Luxford gave a safety briefing of the ship and ran through major needed to know points. After the briefing our friendly cook for the voyage, Cath Downie cooked up a delicious warm breakfast, especially pleasing for the bitterly cold winds. The first person of every watch was given the task to clean the dishes (Tharina Vosloo from blue).

The skipper neatly navigated the boat out of the port into the Moreton Bay. All the crew and cadets got together to raise the sails and tighten the sheets. Through the day each watch did rotational activities like Port Lookout and Helm, this enabled everyone to have a turn at navigation and keeping the boat on course, in a safe and controlled environment. As the wind picked up, the waves got a little bigger and of course a less smooth travel. The boat leaned to different sides as we all tacked and jibed. Although the boats’ surface was steep it was balanceable. The occasional larger waves and stronger winds made it harder for balance and a steeper surface. Some of the cadets not quite used to the swaying had some more trouble than the cadets that had already been on the South Passage before.

When the cadets had some time off between watches they were able to sit on the netting at the bow spread, having their harnesses tightly fixed. At middle day the sun came out for a while making it lovely sailing conditions and other boats were also to be found on the water. 11:30 am we had our lunch and the dishes were being washed by the second person in the watch (Joshua Poole). Some cadets that had night watches caught some sleep while they could while they were waiting for their watches to be on. The cadets trying to catch a bit of sleep had to put a barrier up so that no rolled of the bunks as the crew on deck tacked and jibed. The entire luggage was secure also held by the same barriers (lee clothes) as the ones used on the bunks (the lee clothes were of sail that were fastened by rope on small hooks using one turn two half hitches).

Later the afternoon there was some light showers and some of the crew got dressed in almost full body gear and raincoats to protect them from the rain, in both fluro and darker colours. When the rain started to become a little more intense, the Skipper (Captain) decided to drop sails and anchor at Horseshoe Bay, which is where we spent the night. Safe and sheltered from the elements.




Leave a Comment